Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spring (now summer) Clothes

I won’t bore you guys with the details of my Etsy – I want this blog to expand to other topics of sewing – but you can see all that here (if you want to).


I have been working on spring clothes for daughter for a few months now – hence one of my reasons for this blog – I need a little motivation sometimes! Granted, we have our reasons.. I love making spring & summer clothes because they are a great reason for beautiful lightweight cotton lawn fabrics and shirring! 


Shirring (sewing with elastic thread) is tons of fun, easy once you get the hang of it, and makes quite the dramatic impact! Some helpful pointers – cut your fabric at least twice as wide as what you want the final size to be. If you trace a favorite t-shirt and shirr that, it would only fit an infant! I’ve ruined some awesome vintage items by trying to upcycle them with shirring and cutting them too small. Boo.


Before this turns into a how-to-shirr post, let’s get back to daughter’s spring wardrobe. Pink Chalk Fabrics had a great sale a bit ago, so I stocked up on lots of great fabrics for E’s wardrobe. Lots of bright prints and fun patterns, lots of shirring, lots of cute!


A yellow romper:
Erin McMorris Weekends Dots And Loops
A shirred top and shorts (second round - the first time the tension of the bobbin was too tight, resulting in too-tight shirring. Picking out shirring is NO joke!)
Darling Clementine Flower Grid


Butterfly dress, which I may or may not add ruffles to around the neck:
Alexander Henry Eton Butterfly


And that’s all I’ve gotten done so far!


In the works are a floral romper in this great print (LOVE Erin McMorris!)
Erin McMorris Weekends Lilyrose Lime
And I have some delicious floral Lecien lawn floating around (for the life of me, I cannot find a photo of this! Just imagine its greatness!), but feel like mommy deserves a little something too?


I was considering a dress for E, inspired by this Mini Boden number:
I think it's so adorable and wouldn't be too difficult to replicate (and a lot cheaper!).


It’s only a yard, so a skirt or dress for mama is not an option. Any ideas for something cute and simple for a mama top, but not in-your-face-floral-overload?


Fortunately, husband does not have many sewing requests for me (if ever), so I’m only resigned to sew for me, daughter and home at the moment.


And a quick preview of something BIG to come!


Thanks for letting me share!


1 comment:

wholesale ed hardy said...

What a cute and pretty dress is this. The little girl looks charming and adorable. that yellow romper looks fabulous. Thank you for sharing.


Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...